Tuesday, October 14, 2008

October 14: Lenox Almond Biscotti


My first entry is my first time baking along with Tuesdays with Dorie. I've always enjoyed baking, even when I didn't do much of it. My mom's a great baker (she makes the best gingerbread men and sugar cookies), so baking always seems cozy and homey to me. On my own, I tend to get in a bit of a rut - this past year I've pretty much only made chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cake (lots of both). I'm looking forward to adding some variety and trying some things I might not select on my own, like the biscotti.

I've never made biscotti before. It's always been a little intimidating with the long baking times and the slicing after the first round of baking. The Lenox Almond Biscotti seemed more accessible with the shorter baking times, and Dorie's comment that she'd stopped making all other biscotti and started making these twice a week made them seem pretty enticing.

They came together easily, and cutting into slices was not as challenging as I'd imagined. I didn't stand them up, as other recipes I've read all lay them down, and I figured that was safer for me (I envisioned them domino-ing off the baking sheet to the oven floor). The loaves spread quite a bit in the first round of the oven and ran together some, but it didn't seem to be a problem when they were cut. I also didn't catch them quite in time for the second round, so they're a little darker than I think they're supposed to be, though I don't think it affected the taste. I loved the almond flavor! I'm not sure I liked the cornmeal, though I'm not sure what I could substitute in the future. Maybe it'll grow on me. I usually snack through sweets in the evening, and I ate most of them that night (though they're surprisingly filling!). They're light, not too sweet and very flavorful. Thanks Gretchen of Canela & Comino for selecting this recipe!

No comments: