Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Lemonana Granita


It's hot! Til this week we've been lucky if it's gotten to 70 any time this summer, today it's 97! I needed a cold dessert/snack for the day.

A few days ago I'd made lemonana using a recipe from a blog I'm not able to find again - but it was something like 1/2 lemon, juiced; 1 T sugar and 15 leaves mint. I thought it'd make a nice granita. I started with a Mint Granita recipe from epicurious and had to make some changes after tasting (not that I don't like mouthwash...). I ended up with:
2 1/4c water
1c mint leaves
3/4 c sugar
1 lemon - juice and zest
1/3 c key lime juice (bottled)
Bring all to a boil, let sit 3 min, strain into container and freeze, stirring every 30 min.

The lime juice was the late change, it was quite minty, so I threw in the quickest citrus I had :) It's a better balance now, though I've no idea of what a true lemonana should taste like, especially one with half bottled lime - ha! Anyway, it's been nice for our first real days of summer!

No comments: