Monday, July 20, 2009

Blanc-Manger


I was so excited to try this one! The summer raspberries haven't done very well here, but I'd found red currants for the first time ever here at a farm stand. (I had to get a picture of the currants - I think they're the prettiest fruit possible!) So I subbed the currants for the raspberries. The only other change was I only made a half batch.

For the blanc-manger, I ground slivered almonds in our little coffee grinder and sifted it. It got fine enough, I think, but it looks less pretty with the speckles of skin. Maybe if I try this to serve, I'll try ordering almond flour. I also lined the pan with waxed paper, so it looks a little wrinkly, so I'd get the chair to reach the parchment if I were going to make this for anyone :)

We really liked this. The currants worked really well, I thought their tartness was balanced well with the base. I'd like to try a mix of raspberry and currant, too.

Thanks to Susan of Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy for this great pick!

7 comments:

Audrey said...

Thanks so much for visiting! Your blanc-manger is beautiful! And so are the currants. I saw rosy pink ones at the market last week and I wanted to buy them just for their color.

Isabelle said...

Your blanc-manger looks delicious!

Hindy said...

Fresh currants. What a lovely additions! Your blanc-manger looks delicious.

Bella Baker said...

Yours looks so pretty! I love the currants! Yum!!

Megan said...

I've never seen fresh currants before - they look so pretty!

TeaLady said...

Love those perfect little currants. Makes a perfect blanc-manger.

Leslie said...

Great idea to use currants! I bet their tart flavor made this even better!