Tuesday, April 28, 2009

4/28: Chocolate Cream Pie


These diner varieties Dorie talks about used to be my favorite as a kid, so I was looking forward to this week's recipe!

I am still having trouble appropriately mixing my tart dough. Not that I've had much experience.... I was planning on making a half batch of the pie, but I tried two crusts and used some of my grandma's old pie tins. The one on the left certainly looks overmixed to me, and the one on the right - ha! It makes me laugh just to look at the picture. I think I was overcompensating. I used the overworked one for the pie :)

Barely related, since reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, I've been trying to only use local pastured eggs. I'd bought some regular $1 variety for dying easter eggs since the local usually come with only 4 white eggs per dozen. The local are all the brown eggs in the back (look at that one on the right!) and the white eggs are all the regular grocery variety. These are all labeled "large". I love that there's some variance in the sizes for the local pastured. I also need to get a battery for my scale!

I loved the chocolate pastry cream. I used a couple of the Trader Joe's 72% bars, and it was really good! I didn't have much chocolate left for my curls, but the pie was still delicious! Thanks Kim of Scrumptious Photography for selecting this recipe!

5 comments:

Megan said...

I haven't read that book - I'm afraid of what I'll learn!

Egg sizes crack me up (no pun intended). Really - absolutely no consistency in size - but I guess it doesn't matter!

Kara said...

Oh yummy. Your tart looks great.

I am dying to find a local farmer to sell me eggs. Maybe our farmer's market will have eggs for sale this year.

Unknown said...

Glad you liked it :) It looks wonderful!

Di said...

Your tart looks great! I should really check my farmers market for local eggs, but I haven't made it there for quite a while. And I really miss Trader Joe's... (none in Texas)

TeaLady said...

I have a friend with chickens. Love the frsh eggs. They taste sooooo much better.

Tart looks just right.