Sunday, June 27, 2010

Raspberries and Currants























We moved in January, so we've been discovering a lot about the new yard. Like the 28 rhubarb plants. And six beautiful red currant bushes. I need to learn about pruning them, but even with some neglect, they're producing. I'd never been able to find currants til a farm stand last summer, and we loved them - out of hand, jelly, tarts, pies. I was thrilled to find we'd have our own!
















And most exciting for the kids were the raspberries bordering the garage and the self seeded plants randomly around the yard. We kept watching and kept watching, and I couldn't figure out why they weren't ripe - they were such a beautiful, rich red....and then one turned black :)















I'm reading of jams and jellies and thinking of freezing, but so far I've not been able to beat the kids to them! Hopefully I'll get a chance to make something to post about :)

1 comment:

HanaĆ¢ said...

Oh yum! Those berries and currants look delicious (mouthwatering actually!). Lucky you! Whenever you're ready to make jam, here's my go-to Jam recipe (I recently used it to make a batch of Plum Jam and a batch of Triple Berry Jam): http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/07/sms-strawberry-rhubarb-preserves.html