Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reinhart's Whole Wheat Bagels















I tried making bagels once about eight years ago, I think, and they were a disaster. Doughy and tough and heavy. I think I used the BH&G cookbook recipe, which I'm sure would work fine for most people, and maybe might work for me now that I have a little more experience making bread. But this go around, I wanted a whole grain bagel, and Reinhart seems to be the man for bread. I'd gotten his Whole Grain Breads cookbook for Christmas, and thought this would be a fun one to start with!





















From one recipe I got 8 bagels, about 3 3/4 oz each. I clearly need to work on my shaping (like my hiding of the pinch in the first photo?). The four on the left I pulled into balls and then poked the hole. The four on the right, I rolled into snakes and pinched together. The shaping is still on the to-do list :-). I was excited they were all floating in the first 10-15 seconds, and they ended up pretty light for all whole wheat. I did use KA white whole wheat, so that probably helped some, too. I also just used honey, the malt syrup will be on the list for next time! It seemed to go pretty quickly, lots of little steps, so it's a great project for a day at home!

2 comments:

Flourchild said...

I love your homemade bagels! I have not tried this yet!
I wanted to answer your question about my blue bundt pan. It's not stoneware..I actully got it at Walmart in the clearance section..it's a Paula Deen brand! I think it's ceramic!

Unknown said...

they look like perfection, great job!