Friday, January 28, 2011

Cocoa Brownies















So the other night after having made a couple loaves of sandwich bread, the bagels, and homemade pizzas, I figured I might as well use the oven since it was on and make some dessert :-) But after the baking of the day, I wanted something easy, so cocoa brownies. No melting chocolate, less messy (I'd also buffed out and oiled the butcherblock counters that morning), they'd be perfect. And I never line my brownies with parchment when we're eating at home (course, then that's why my cuts look like they do up there). Smitten Kitchen's adaptation of Alice Medrich's cocoa brownies looked like it got good reviews, and with only 7 ingredients (no nuts in my brownies) it looked perfect!

I only used 8tb of butter (10 just seemed like they'd be greasy), and they were still plenty buttery for me. These are pretty good cocoa brownies. Like SK described, they are fudgy. And they're very sweet, and sticky and gooey. There's a little hint of caramel in the background. But even though they look nice and dark, they're not deep or chocolaty. Like the difference between fudge and ganache. I think I'll be sticking to the brownies with bittersweet, even if it means I need to melt the chocolate :-)

Here are a few I've liked and will make again
Rick Katz's brownies for Julia and Chocolatechic's review and the recipe
the Baked brownie
and though not a true plain brownie, Maida Heatter's Santa Fe brownies

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Those brownies look fudgy good. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

Jen said...

Your brownies look so fudgy and delicious! I've tried the Baked brownie too and must say it's my favourite!

Manni said...

mmmmh!! these look yummy!! I've not tried out any egg less brownies but this is making me think about them : )