Tuesday, September 8, 2009

the Baked Brownie


So when I should have been making the chocolate souffle but had my days mixed up, I was making a pan of the Baked brownies. I was a little horrified at the 11oz of chocolate, 5 eggs and 1 cup of butter. I used Trader Joe's 72% for the chocolate - and the chocolate really comes through. I couldn't really taste the cocoa powder (not that they were fantastic cocoa powders -1 each of Ghiradelli and Hershey's Special Dark, wanting to use up the Ghiradelli and then seeing it wasn't very dark and trying to compensate).

The brownies were really good. I really liked the thick enough, dense enough to hold together, not cakey quality. I need to reread, they're almost a little salty to me (1 tsp?), I used fine sea salt and unsalted butter, I think I'd cut back salt by a half. But we don't really use much salt here, and maybe try cutting 2-3 TB of the butter. I don't know how frequently I'll make them, they're a little over the top :) But I think they'd be a good standard brownie recipe to bring to work or potlucks.

Sometime I need to try the Spiced Up version , though the sweet and salty or pb sound even better. First I want to try that Sweet and Salty Cake, and I need to try the Vanilla Bean Caramel Apples after we go apple picking. And the Millionaire's Shortbread sounds amazing. And the truffles look pretty good, too...

1 comment:

Megan said...

GAHHH! So many ideas you have running there - but I'm with you on the salt issue. I don't use salt in any of my baked goods - I must be really sensitive to it - but I am a firm believer that salt and sweet don't go together.

I never got my brownies to look as good as yours, though - and I've made them twice.