Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Peach Jams


I've really been enjoying trying to do some preserving this summer. Lately, I've been on a peach kick: Honey Peach with Cardamom, Peach with Lemon Verbena and Raspberry-Peach with Mint. I also made a plain Honey Peach, but no photo, it pretty much looked the same as the cardamom one above.

The Honey Peach Cardamom was based on Ferber's Lavender Honey Peach, but using a local honey and cardamom. The Lemon Verbena was Ferber's, too. I really like the way her jams set (when they've set for me!).

The Raspberry Peach Mint started as Topp's recipe, but it was not setting, so I added more raspberries, a little more peach and just made the recipe in the Certo package and added the mint. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't taste the mint, but maybe it'll be more obvious in the ones that got to set. It's a good jam, but trying this next to Ferber's, it just couldn't compete.

I'm hoping to get some more Honey Peach done for family before the season's over. And then I'm excited about the apples and pears! I tried a Caramel Applesauce, generally based on Ferber's Caramel Apple jam. It was really tasty, though I used yellow transparents (the first apples at our farmers market so far!) so the color was really unattractive - so no pic :) Anyway, I'm really looking forward to trying more apple jams and jellies and some pear preserves!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sheesh - look at you! Just canning away - although I must say everything looks so pretty and delicious in those jars.