Thursday, April 14, 2011

Whoopie Pies















I've been seeing recipes for Whoopie Pies for years, but have never had one. I happened to have some marshmallow creme, and I've been saving this America's Test Kitchen whoopie pie recipe. So I figured it was time to finally try them - having marshmallow creme on hand had to be a sign!

They were really quick to put together, and the frosting is addicting! It's nice and light and all butter (no margarine or shortening). I hope this isn't insulting to whoopie pie lovers, but the texture and flavors reminded me of like a chocolate zinger or fudge brownie round, except this was really good. It's like what the junk food would want to be. They were so light and tender, and they look so homey. I don't know how they'd travel, but these seem like they'd be great summer or picnic desserts. The kids would love them, and any adults who have a sweet tooth :-)

3 comments:

BriteLady said...

I've been watching whoopie pie recipes online too, and have seen the same ATK recipe in their Family Cook Book. I'm glad to see they turned out as well for you as they do in the book. I may try these one of these days!

House Of Aqua said...

I just made these for the first time, but I used a different recipe. I was very pleased with them. Yours look delicious! :)

Anonymous said...

We liked these, too (same cookbook). We thought they were sort of on the "basic" side of things, but that's not always a bad thing. The filling was really nice and we kept wanting more :) I have made them twice already, and I will definitely make them again.