Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lemon


I've been liking lemon lately (especially Emeril's lemon marshmallows), and one of my sometime goals is to learn to temper chocolate. Technicolor Kitchen's truffles looked lemony and I loved the idea of dipping them in a dark chocolate. I ended up quartering the recipe, but keeping all the zest, for:
113g white chocolate, finely chopped (4oz Ghiradelli)
grated zest of 1 lemon
1TB lemon juice
1 1/2TB heavy cream
Make the ganache, then add the zest and juice. Let chill overnight, roll into truffles.

I tried dipping half of them in Trader Joe's 72% Belgian chocolate. You can see my challenges with dipping! I tried doing the microwave method for tempering (with really no idea of what I'm doing). The chocolate on these bloomed, I think maybe because the truffles were straight from the fridge? (in addition to whatever else - need more practice!) The rest I rolled in Scharffen Berger natural cocoa. The cocoa was certainly a smoother process, but I really like the flavor of the dipped chocolate. The ganache is quite soft, so I think I'll need to adjust that for next time (extract for the juice?), or else try using molds instead.

With my leftover chocolate, I dipped some of Talanian's lemon marshmallows. They are very lemony- a bit too tart for me, so I thought the chocolate could be nice. They're ok, I just have never really liked the chocolate-marshmallow easter eggs, so I'm not sure why I thought I'd like these much. The chocolate didn't bloom, but it's not glossy like I think it should be. I need to try again when I can devote more attention to it!

The texture of these marshmallows though is amazing - velvety, pillowy. Talanian provides a sugar syrup recipe to use instead of corn syrup, which she says makes the difference. I'm hoping to try her coconut, margarita, amaretto and chocolate marshmallows, too!

1 comment:

Patricia Scarpin said...

I love anything lemon - is a real favorite of mine - and I'm glad to know you made the truffles. They look fantastic and I bet the chocolate coating was a wonderful addition.
Now I want to try the lemon marshmallows!