Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Apple Tart


The family went apple picking last week, and we went a little crazy picking two bushels. We'd already gone once earlier, and the kids had gone through that bushel plus all the extras from farmers' market. So I figured get two bushels and either it'll be just right or they'll decide they're sick of apples and won't eat another one for two months. We ended up getting cortlands, mcintosh, honeycrisp, golden delicious, red delicious, spartans and jonathans.

For my first baking, I had a batch of tart dough in the freezer, so I adapted this epicurious recipe for Apple Tarts.
I used a springform pan this time, which seemed to work well.

Apple Tart
1 batch tart dough
4 apples (I used two huge Cortlands and two Golden Delicious)
1/2 c water
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Roll out tart dough to pan and refrigerate. Peel apples. Add skins, 6 TB sugar and water and bring to a boil to dissolve sugar. Let stand 10 minutes, add vanilla. Strain out solids. Arrange apples in tart and brush with syrup. Sprinkle on remaining 2TB sugar. Bake at 400 for 20 min. Reduce heat to 375 and bake another 20 min. While baking reduce remaining syrup to about 1/4. Let tart stand for a few minutes and brush with remaining sugar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I went apple picking last weekend and now find myself with an abundance of apples too--although not quite that many (I had to take mine home on a plane...) Tart making was near the top of the list, but this might have just pushed it to the front ;)