Thursday, April 22, 2010

Three Citrus Marmalade























I've never really liked store bought marmalade, but I thought (like some other things like blueberry pie) maybe I'd really like homemade. I had some grapefruit and oranges (and the kids had moved on from their citrus kick), and I just happened to have a couple lemons, so I figured it was a sign to finally try making marmalade.

















The fruit looked so pretty and fresh. Ferber calls for 1 3/4 lb oranges, 1 3/4 lb grapefruit, 2 lemons, and 3 3/4 c sugar. Only the flesh of the oranges and grapefruit is used, and is diced. The whole fruit of the lemons is sliced. The recipe boils the fruit, lets it sit overnight and then boils to set the next day. On the second day I boiled just the juice first, and then added the fruit to temp. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong but I was not able to get it to set. Then the next day, this was some stiff marmalade. I tried some, and it's a little too bitter for me, but it could be I just don't like marmalade. I loved the look of the lemon slices, and thought the jars were pretty. I have some kumquats which are either going to be candied or I'll have another go at marmalade :)

No comments: