Thursday, February 10, 2011

Clementine Marshmallows with Honey and Cardamom















I love homemade marshmallows. Especially Emeril's Lemon ones. So while I was in the marshmallow-making mood, I remembered I'd also been wanting to try cardamom in marshmallows, and honey, and then we had some extra clementines sitting around....so they all got thrown together :-)

I used Emeril's Lemon recipe as a base, and played around with subbing clementine for lemon and honey for some of the corn syrup. I only made a half batch which uses just one gelatin packet and fits perfectly in a 5x9 loaf pan (that's one and a half batches in the photo above). The marshmallows were nice and smooth and balanced, the honey was not overpowering and the clementine was mellow (compared to how I imagine an orange marshmallow might be). They're a little more grown-up than the lemon marshmallows, even though the kids ate most of them - I'm guessing marshmallows of almost any flavor would be a hit with the kids. They reminded me of the holidays and cider, these would be really nice next December!

Clementine Marshmallows with Honey and Cardamom
Oil a 5x9 loaf pan and dust with 50/50 mix of powdered sugar and potato starch.

In mixer bowl combine:
1 envelope gelatine
1/4 c clementine juice (for me this was 3 clementines)

In saucepan combine:
1 c minus 2 TB sugar
4TB honey
2 TB corn syrup
1/4 c water
2 cardamom pods, crushed
2 strips clementine zest (about 3/4"x1 1/2")
Bring to a boil and cover for about 4-5 minutes. Take off cover and watch for temp to come to 250F. When it reaches 250, take off heat, add to gelatin mixture and mix for 6-8 minutes until marshmallows start to get a bit stringy from the edge of the bowl and the beater and starts to keep its shape. Pour marshmallows into loaf pan and let sit overnight.
Next day turn out onto cutting board dusted with powdered sugar and potato starch and cut with dusted chef's knife.

No comments: