Saturday, December 13, 2008

Alton Brown's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies


For the first time, I tried using gluten-free flours for baking. I was hoping to make a tray of goodies for a friend with celiac. Some of the candies I'll use for all, I just was more intentional about avoiding cross contamination. One recipe that I think turned out pretty well was
Alton Brown's Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies. They don't have any odd aftertaste. They call for brown rice flour, I used Bob's Red Mill. I think white rice flour would give a smoother end product (or a different brown rice flour maybe?). These tasted a lot like the cookies I make when I sub ground flax for half the butter. They're good, but the grittiness I think could be off-putting. Next are the gluten-free 'oreos'!

No comments: