Monday, December 15, 2008


After reading so many articles about how fun marshmallows are and seeing McAuliflower's Brownie Points photo, I had to try making some! I used Nightscotsman's strawberry marshmallow recipe on egullet, used the vanilla variation and substituted 2 tsp peppermint extract for the vanilla. The 2 tsp ended up being almost too much, I think 1 to 1 1/2 next time would be best for eating out of hand. Two is nice for cocoa though!

Mixing them went pretty well. I almost forgot the peppermint extract so had to mix it longer, but it still poured pretty well. I tried using red food color on half to make them pretty for the holidays, but only half because I've never been very good at swirling.

Removing them from the pan was the biggest challenge. It took forever! I used foil and didn't have spray so I'd greased the foil with vegetable oil on a paper towel. I think I didn't use enough oil. I'll also try the parchment suggestion (I think this was on the Brownie Points blog). In any case, the tops looked pretty good still. Cutting them was super easy using a chef's knife; I didn't even need to use much oil. Even with the pain of taking them out of the pan, my first try with marshmallows was pretty rewarding!

The white ones look so fluffy and pretty on the plate, I really want to learn to make these well!


mmcfeely said...

I found your blog somehow...and given its name thought you might be interested in this baking chocolate -- Intentional chocolate --
Blessed by Tibetan Monks.
No kidding.


ellecupcake said...

YUMO!!! These look great!!!

Joy said...

Thanks! I was so excited that they turned out - I wasn't so sure in the middle of it :)

Gabe's Girl said...

Very pretty and sweet.