Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Gluten-free Breads


We're trying a little gluten-free here for a few weeks, so my first bread attempt was from Healthy Bread in 5. I loved how it turned out, good texture and flavor. It was very moist, almost biscuit-ish. I thought this was really good. My kid said, "it's too white." Any other time I'd be proud of raising a kid who prefers whole grains.

So for round 2, I tried an almond flour and soda raised bread from elana's pantry This one didn't win either. It's more like a quick bread, much denser.

So, I'm hoping to play around with the HBin5 recipe, varying the flours. And I'm very open to suggestions!

9 comments:

Megan said...

I haven't experimented with gluten free yet - so I'll be interested in seeing how this experiment of yours turns out.

Michelle said...

Joyanna,

Would you mind linking up this post to the current Bread Braid. We've not done Gluten Free Breads yet and I think the other members would enjoy seeing your success.

Gorgeous rise on the "white" bread! I love using almond flour but have not tried it in bread yet!

Cristie said...

Your breads are completely beautiful! Did you make any changes to the bread recipe from the Healhy Bread in Five? I'd be proud of my husband if he made a comment as wise as your child's!

Femalechef said...

Great looking breads!!!

Carolyn™ said...

They look good, I didnt join in time to know about the challenge.

Jenny said...

I don't have any suggestions because I haven't baked my dough yet. It wasn't very encouraging when the mix looked like a batter when I had all the ingredients together. It did seem to have a great rise, though.
Your bread looks great!
~Jenny~

Cathy (Bread Experience) said...

Your gluten-free HBinFive bread looks really good. I'm looking forward to trying this one just to see what happens. Didn't get to it this time.

Guff said...

I thought my dough was very wet and hard to work with, but was pleasantly surprised with the results. It would be worth tinkering with if you have to go gluten-free.

Elwood said...

Your breads look really good.